Helping Arizona Families with Medical Debt
Proposition 209: How does our recently passed ballot measure protect hardworking Arizonans?
No Arizona family should lose their home or car due to medical emergencies or accidents, or be trapped into unending debt by unfair interest rates on medical care. That’s why we worked to pass Proposition 209, our ballot measure that protects consumers from predatory debt collection by:
- Increasing the protected value of people’s primary home to better match Arizona’s median home value
- Increasing the allowed value of protected household goods and bank accounts
- Increasing the protected value of vehicles
- Limiting wage garnishment for debt to no more than 10% of disposable earnings
- Limiting the interest rate on medical debt to no more than 3%
How We Did It
Our Partnership With RIP Medical Debt
In July, we turned in a record number of signatures to qualify for the ballot. And in partnership with RIP Medical Debt, we committed to erasing medical debt for every signature collected by our volunteer leaders. In total, we were able to eliminate $3.5 million in existing, unpayable medical debt for struggling Arizona families.
Want to help us fix Arizona’s healthcare system?
Be Involved in Our Next Big Fix for AZ Healthcare
Together we made history and passed Proposition 209 to protect hardworking Arizonans from losing their cars, homes and wages due to unfair medical debt — but our journey has only just begun. Will you join us and stay involved in our next big fix for Arizona healthcare?